Saturday, September 21, 2013

Shave And A Hair Cut


I'm not an expert in the law but from what my barber tells me using fixed blades is illegal in the US because it can't be sterilized between customers.  This is why most use the cartridge style straight with the replaceable blade.  I've also heard it's against the law to use lather brushes when shaving, something to do with germs transferring.. but at the same time I've been to barber shops where they've used a brush on me so I guess it's up to the shop.

Back in the day before the barber could pull out a fresh blade and snap it into his razor for each customer the shop was entrusted with holding your personal razor and brush.. sometimes even a different razor for each day of the week, where you might see a set up like this here.  Or you might bring a mug in holding your brush and razor which would go in the cabinet until you came in for a morning shave.  

Thinking back to the early 1900s living conditions were completely different.. you might have a cold water flat, no running water or mirror, or a shared bathroom in a tenement building.  I know I hate shaving when my hot water heater is out of juice, cold water doesn't open up your face as good and there's something about having a hot blade that seems to work much better.  Of course I'm spoiled compared to back then, maybe modern living has made us soft but things we take for granted weren't so common even 50 years ago.  What we can do easily in our apartments or homes used to be something you'd have to take to the streets for, maybe wait in line at the barber and have to pay a little something everyday for the service.  Just something to think about next time you lather up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment