Monday, May 20, 2013

Royal Crown Pomade Review


Like the bucket says, an exclusive formula for men.. One of the classic staples of the pomade world, this stuff has been around forever and has reportedly been used by everyone from Johnny Cash to Elvis.  If it's good enough for the King right?  I've always seen it but have strayed away because it usually runs 4-5$ on a shelf filled with 2-3$ pomades that are calling out to me.. but you do get your moneys worth cause the can is big at 5oz compared to the usual 3oz.  The other thing that has turned me away in the past is that it just looks super light and soft, like it's not going to grip good.  But the one thing I can't deny is the smell!  My barber used some of this on me and I kept smelling it all day, smelled so damn good I had to grab some of my own.


Popping the top it looks like a light weight grease, and you get the really pleasant clean old fashioned scent.. but not old fashioned like the guy with way too much cheap aftershave on.  


Dipping in it's about what you'd expect from looking at it, real light, almost wants to slide off your hands, super greasy and just slicks up your hands, not really any stickiness.  Because of this it goes in super smooth, doesn't grab any hairs or anything..  Got it in and combed it through quick and easy.  Here's where my problems began though.  As soon as I combed up a style it would just drop out of place and would not hold high like usual.


Probably from the ingredients or texture of the product, but I don't think it's a strong holder at all.  Then again it's not really designed to be.  For me I'm used to something strong and sticky that's going to but all my hairs in place and hold them there, Crown Royal is not the one for this.  Everything seemed to sag or fall out of postion as soon as I stopped combing.  Did manage to get something, but it was very loose.



Hmm, well I rocked it for the night and ended up putting a small dab of beeswax in and that did the trick immediately.  This stuff is probably good if your hair is curly or will hold it's style by itself and you need a little shine.. or if your hair is much longer.  Just don't think I have the hair type or proper cut for these kinds of pomade.  I can't see myself using it as a stand alone at all, but it makes a nice top coat for the smell and shine.  Also be careful to start with just a little bit because too much will end up weighing your hair down big time.  I've used it several times and it seems like less is always better.  It works ok if I have some residue of something stronger still hanging in my hairs or if I put a dab of wax in with it.  Still a classic and worth having in the closet.  Good for shine, scent, and if you've got thick, long or curly hair.. give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment