Saturday, May 25, 2013

Murray's Edgewax Review


murrays edgewax review

I use the classic Murray's beeswax more than anything so when I heard there was some new space age water based beeswax product out, I was looking forward to trying it.  I love the wax for strong hold but  a water base is cool cause it doesn't build up crazy gunk in your hairs.  Sounds like a catch 22, water based wax but if anyone could do it, it's Murray's.  Now it's probably important to keep in mind this is designed to hold edges like it says.. the edges of women's hair that have tricky or slick and curly styles that need the sides plastered down.. or the edges of wigs, or their real hair pasted down underneath the wig so it doesn't pop out the side.  That's not going to stop me from using it as a pomade though.  The top says premium gel with beeswax, didn't hear about the gel part until I saw the label at the store but again.. there's no turning back now.

murrays edgewax

Popping the top it has a very clean light smell, nothing too strong.  Looks like a clear wax til you dig in and it feels like a super strong gel pomade.

murrays edgewax review

Comes out clear and a bit sticky, but like I said it's strong.. not what you'd expect by looking at it.  I worked it in my palms and got it in ok, but as soon as it hit my hairs I could tell it's unlike anything I'm used to.  It kind of sticks to your hairs and you have to try to get a decent amount in quick cause as it sticks I swear it puts up a shield that makes it tough to get more in.  It's the same with combing it too, you get about one shot to get it right.  

murray's edgewax review


It combed up ok and I got my style in.. but it locks up your hair real tight and if you go back for a re comb it feels like you're breaking the seal or connections..


Start to get stragglers after a re comb..
Or if you mess with it too much all hell breaks loose!


Overall it gave my hair a nice dry look, which can be cool for a change.  The hold isn't that strong though, I had some fly aways from the wind but nothing too terrible or that maybe a pinch of regular wax to top might help out with.  It didn't flake like it says, but I'm just not used to the way it makes my hair feel either to run my fingers through or to try and comb it up.  I think this is the gel mixed in that does that.. probably a deal breaker for me.  I need something I can comb back in place all day and that holds good, but maybe with a little practice or a light top coat of straight beeswax I could learn to use it.  Not a bad product, I might experiment more with it..  Not an everyday one for me, but if you're used to gel this would be great for you.  Smell is pleasant, gave my hair a cool look, washed out really easy as soon as the water hits it, it's gone.. so that's a plus.  Price checks in between 4-5$ for 4oz.  If you're going for the dry look, have real short hair or want to hold your edges down give it a shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment