Monday, December 17, 2012

American Crew Pomade Review

american crew pomade

Awhile ago I caught the Crew products on sale so I grabbed three different kinds..  I let the pomade sit on the sidelines for awhile, trying to save the best for last.  Really, I was a little apprehensive cause this stuff cost about 4 times as much as what I usually use.. it smells so good and looked pretty good, I was afraid that after I walked on the dark side there would be no turning back and I'd be stuck in the world of expensive hair grease.  Kind of like after you've had good kosher corn beef on a fresh onion roll, the cheap stuff at the Coney Island is never the same..


Getting into it, the first thing you notice is the smell.. this shit is serious!!  If you see this in the store, pop the top and take a whiff.  It smells like clean, sharp, powerful man scent.. the chicks are going to wonder why they're turned on 10 ft away when you walk by sporting this stuff.  Looks like semi clear  dark yellow gloop, scoops out like jello.. kind of sticky and wants to clump to itself. 


I ran it through with no problems, smooth as butter.  But it gave my hair a little bounce which was giving me trouble with the part.. maybe I'm not used to this kind of product, but the hairs weren't sticking together tight and it wouldn't give me a clean line.  So I caked on a lot, slicked it back hard and got an ok one.  If you rock a straight slick back or pompadour this probably won't be a problem and the bounce would be good.  After I got my hairs in position they seemed kind of loose so I kept putting more dabs on, then it just made my hair greasy, heavy, and still loose.  

Almost lost hope and thought maybe this wasn't going to meet my expectations so screw it I said.. but a couple hours later I recombed and realized I was way wrong.  

american crew pomade

Boom, nice and tight

american crew pomade review

Maybe this stuff needs a minute to activate or something, or my hair isn't used to the soft stuff but after it sinked in everything was good.. even had the back laying extra nice

American Crew pomade

The can says medium hold and shine, I'd say that's about right..  Made my hair a little darker and shinier, couldn't see the hold lasting longer than a couple hours though.  I was thinking it would probably work a lot better in shorter or curlier hair, or if you're going for a looser style.  I think it's worth it for the smell alone, though after I got it to work I was real happy with results.  Another big up is it's water based so it washed out almost completely the next day.

Think I might try it as a light top coat for something stickier just to get a little of that smell and shine.  The only real problem I could see with this would be the price, I'm guessing everyday use would have you going through 16$ cans every week which might be ok for you and if that's the case might be worth it.  With most everything you get what you pay for and it is some high quality pomade, give it a shot.

american crew pomade review

8 comments:

  1. Perfect review and pictures. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, appreciate it.. as many people have looked at this you're the first to say something so glad it helped

      Delete
  2. Great review. Short and concise, but a good one. Pictures really help

    ReplyDelete
  3. do pomades only suit the pompadour hairstyle or are they versatile? I'm abit apprehensive when it comes to pomades...(im using A.C. fiber)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There all diff types so it depends how you sport your hair. Mine is usually cut where I have to have everything in place or it looks dumb, so it's good for that but I think people can get a messy look with it too.

      http://theroostersden.blogspot.com/2013/10/murrays-lucky-13-swagger-review.html
      that's a cream based and will give you a dry look like the fiber, I've been using it daily forever now and love it.. you can add a dab of beeswax or something else and it's great

      or something cheap to try
      http://theroostersden.blogspot.com/2013/07/s-curl-360.html
      you can get that at grocery stores, target for like 3$ it's water based like the crew products.. or grab some cheap greasy pomade and experiment with a tiny little dab

      Delete
  4. I'm getting a hairstyle like a greaser but its sweep slightly to the side while going back. it also has a slight strand of hair coming down my forehead. In your opinion would this be good for that hair style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be good for that, depends how thick your hair is.. you might want a heavier grease like some beeswax or NuNile for hold mixed in. I like the Crew product for shine and combability through the day but if you're going for height and hold I would mix it with something else too. If your hair is super thick or curly though this may work by itself. Hope that helps

      Delete